Owning a home is a dream shared by many Americans, and in fact, by people around the world. Within its 13-county service area, Sheen Housing has assisted numerous families of all ethnic backgrounds and with varying degrees of financial resources to achieve that goal of home ownership.
Sheen Housing does this by providing housing counseling, pre- and post-purchase/homebuyer counseling, default counseling and closing cost assistance.
Thinking About Buying a Home?
Call us for an invitation to take the eHomeAmerica Homebuyer Education online course for free!
The course is a HUD-certified web-based program for prospective first-time homebuyers. Exceeding national industry standards, this course creates knowledgeable and default-resilient buyers ready for a lifetime of homeownership. Easily accessible through any device 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you can learn the ins and outs by taking the comprehensive, fun and engaging course at your own pace. And we’re a phone call or email away to answer any of your questions. Upon completion of the course you receive a one-year certificate that should meet the requirements of several loan and grant programs.
The Course Covers:
– Looking at renting versus buying: Are you ready to buy?
– Managing your money in preparation to get the home you want
– Understanding credit and budgeting and how to address credit issues
– Steps of the home buying process: the roles of the people involved
– Getting a mortgage: reviewing mortgage products, closing costs, lenders, avoiding predatory lenders, grant programs and prequalifying for a mortgage
– Preparing for the expenses of homeownership
– Financial management of homeownership: budgeting for expenses, maintenance, what to do if you have difficulty with your mortgage payments
Call 585-657-4114 to discuss your situation and learning preferences. We also offer the HUD approved, book-based First Time Homebuyers Course, Realizing the American Dream, meeting one-to-one as needed.
As a single mother of two whose annual income consisted of a store clerk’s pay and small support checks, Ms. H dreamed of owning her own home. Her children would have their own yard to play in. She would have space for a small garden to supplement their food budget.
Ms. H thought that the dream was just that, a dream. However, with hard work and dedication to clearing up her credit and tucking away small amounts of money toward closing, that dream has become a reality. Ms. H learned how to budget so that it would allow for unexpected circumstances. She also learned how credit and the use of credit could affect her family long-term. “We love our home!”